Thursday 18 August 2011

Sculpting Heads and Horses


Based on the Fawn in 'Pan's Labyrinth', need to learn hair and fur to add the final touches before texturing.

In reverse chronological order, here's some human heads I've made in Zbrush. Each one was completed in a day, I'm trying to get used to the interface and the tools which are available. I think I'm slowly getting there - just need to keep trying.

Attempt 3, shows I need to learn more about cheekbones and how the jaw line attaches to the neck.


Attempt 2, trying to learn Spotlight functions, it keeps crashing...


I find it interesting that no matter how many tutorials I've watched on sculpting the head, my own methods are completely different! I guess there's no right or wrong way to do it, you just need to keep trying until you find your own preferences. At the moment, it's learning the interface and tools available which is the hardest part of this process.

Working on finishing up this model of a famous horse from Ocarina of Time. I'd like to retopologize this to a game ready specification and texture it. The pose could use a little tweaking and it would look better if it was asymmetrical.



This sketch from life took an hour and a half. I think I made her feet too big, but maybe it's just foreshortening? Crits always welcome, thanks for reading :)


For next week:

Continue modelling heads, at least 3 more by next week.
Continue painting from life, try some environments too.
Finish Ganon's horse to a game ready standard with hair.
Make one low polygon model.

No comments:

Post a Comment